Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Mark D. Morin mdmpsyd at PETERHOOD69gwi.net
Fri Apr 12 03:53:53 EST 2002

Odhinn wrote:

> I have gone through a good bit of material on the internet trying to
> find the answer to this question:  Where does long-term memory reside
> in the brain?  I know the neocortex has a function in forming them,
> but where are they stored?  How does the hippocampus figure in?  If a
> layman's question is inappropriate for this group, I apologize ahead
> of time.
>
> Odhinn

there is no one place.  There's evidence to suggest that visual memories
are stored in the visual cortex but for the rest.....
the hippocampus is essential for digesting incoming information such
that it can be properly stored.
No medicine is more valuable, none more efficacious,
none better suited to the cure of all our temporal
ills than a friend to whom we may turn for consolation
in time of trouble, and with whom we may share our
happiness in time of joy.

               Saint Ailred of Rivaulx (1109 - 1166)
               Historian and abbot

http://home.gwi.net/~mdmpsyd/index.htm