the future of mice

Ryan jh_kix at hotmail.com
Fri Apr 12 04:31:37 EST 2002

> 3. Why not just use eye movements?  Eye movement can be monitored
> non-invasively and eye position is more likey to be correlated with
> where you want the cursor to go than is hand position.

It´s a good idea, but how would one signal a mouse click ? (blinking
won´t work !) And coming back to invasive methods I heard that in a
few years research will make a so called Generic Access Hole possible,
which would enable recording from most neurones thanks to tiny
channels running through the ventricles. Eventually they plan to
incorporate the device to infants while their cranial bones are not
yet fused ! This makes me think of different functional areas to use
besides the one for hand movement, because the latter would include
the actual motor responses as well, wouldn´t it ? So thoughts as such
come into mind, but this is far from realistic at the moment. And it
seems that there is nothing else left for voluntary control than
contraction of other muscles ? Eye movements feels like the best
option after all ...