Memory Mechanics

lad chatw at my-deja.com
Fri Apr 12 09:18:18 EST 2002

Mnemonics were a closely guarded "parlor-trick" of card counters,
mesmerists/mentalists and magicians. Perhaps Golfera and his family
are more genetically inclined in this feat. But my guess is that they
are somewhat gifted, but mostly "putting one over" - Randi - where are
you?. But the basic concept can be learned by anyone. On a whim, I
once impressed my co-workers by memorizing a spoken list of 50 items
(including phone numbers). The "bun, shoe, tree" number pigeon holes
are easy enough. The creative challenge to to link the list with each
memory association in a way that is graphic, novel or, (best of all),
shocking. The mind tends to retain and recall the novel, bizarre and
shocking more easily. At least my mind does!

I was an amateur mentalist (self-published with good reviews). I had a
half dozen memory systems in place when I was performing. The irony
is: you have to consciously REMEMBER to USE your MEMORY system! (It's
kind of like saying "I forgot to take my ginkgo again!")  When other
hobbies came along, the memory systems went POOF! I would have to
review my notes to attempt those feats again.

CW
(aka "Adolphus")