Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Didier A. Depireux didier at tango.isr.umd.edu
Fri Apr 12 21:44:58 EST 2002

Odhinn <odhinn at hushmail.com> wrote:
> I have gone through a good bit of material on the internet trying to
> find the answer to this question:  Where does long-term memory reside
> in the brain?  I know the neocortex has a function in forming them,

Nobody knows, is the correct answer. The hippocampus is necessary for
_making_ memories. That's just about the only thing we are pretty sure of.
Where the memories are is unknown.

						Didier

Didier A Depireux         ddepi001 at umaryland.edu  didier at isr.umd.edu
685 W.Baltimore Str      http://neurobiology.umaryland.edu/depireux.htm
Anatomy and Neurobiology                      Phone: 410-706-1272 (off)
University of Maryland                                      -1273 (lab)
Baltimore MD 21201 USA                             Fax: 1-410-706-4724