kurzweil.."the brain reverse engineered within 30 years"...

Heiko Tietze ht_ at gmx.de
Sun Apr 14 06:49:11 EST 2002

On Sat, 13 Apr 2002 16:20:45 GMT, zbird <zbird2001 at yahoo.com> wrote:

>Ray Kurzweil has said that we will have reverse engineered the brain
>within 30 years.  He said that a grand project is underway comparable
>to the Human Genome Project, and that it is a lot farther along than
>most people think.  However, he did not give any references or info on
>how to gather more information.  Anyone know more about this?
>
>zbird
I think, he inteprets the technical development of fMRI (functional
magnet resonance imaging) too far. In the last years the structural
resolution was enhanced indeed. But now the brain is particularly
heated up by the strong fields, because a higher resolution needs
higher magnetic fields.
Furthermore the anatomical description does not reveal the functional
combination of modules. Always the oxygenation meant as energetic
activity will be seen.
No, a "1:1 reengieering" will never be possible (IMHO).
Heiko, who is also fascinated by Kurtzweil.
--
"Software is like sex, it´s better when it´s free!"
(Linus Torvalds)