Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Yannick Chateau Yannick.Chateau at univ-brest.fr
Sun Apr 14 09:59:06 EST 2002

"Odhinn" <odhinn at hushmail.com> a écrit dans le message news:
aed65916.0204112347.bc697a4 at posting.google.com...
> I have gone through a good bit of material on the internet trying to
> find the answer to this question:  Where does long-term memory reside
> in the brain?  I know the neocortex has a function in forming them,
> but where are they stored?  How does the hippocampus figure in?  If a
> layman's question is inappropriate for this group, I apologize ahead
> of time.
>
> Odhinn

As said by the others there's on place define for "stockage" for memory. In
fact, you must refer to works about LTP "Long Term Potentiation". If you
look by this side of view, you'll see that there' consensus about some
effectives changes in the connection between neurons (augmentated number,
strong connection, augmentation of the electrical activity ...), but
actually if there phisically changes, no one can say : that's memory. You
can look too for the LTD "Long Term Depression", it's an other way of
memory.
I apologise for my english and hope it can help you

yannick