kurzweil.."the brain reverse engineered within 30 years"...

Richard S. Norman rnorman at umich.edu
Sun Apr 14 10:11:37 EST 2002

No, simulating the brain is not reverse engineering.  Real reverse
engineering means not just duplicating behavior or function, but
actually understanding what all the little details of the original
implementation are doing.

Keiko Tietze's (zbird's) post about fMRI may be pertinent, but
any recording technique just gives us data on what the brain,
or parts of the brain, or cells in the brain are doing.  It doesn't
tell us how to interpret what that activity means.  It is sort of
like the human genome project.  We now know an awful lot
about ACGT sequences but we still don't really know what
to make of the sequence.

All we can say for sure is that thirty years from now we will
know an awful lot more about the brain than we do now and
that there will still be an awful lot more to learn.