Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Bob Nienhuis nienhuis at wgn.net
Sun Apr 14 12:09:11 EST 2002

A new paper in the April 11th issue of Neuron adresses this. Vadim
Bolshakov, PhD, and William Carlezon, PhD, working with Nobel Prize
winner Eric
Kandel, PhD, and other McLean Hospital colleagues, report that they have
found clear evidence of a causal link between long-term potentiation and
learning - in this case, learned fear - in the amygdala of rats. See:
<http://www.ascribe.org/cgi-bin/spew4th.pl?fname=2002-04/20020409.110336&time=9:02+Pacific+Time&year=2002&public=1>
for a press release.

Bob Nienhuis
nienhuis at ucla.edu