olfactory ability of predators - hunting by scent

Cindy Chambers cchambers at questacon.edu.au
Thu Apr 18 05:20:22 EST 2002

I am researching for an interactive science exhibition about predators
for Questacon - The National Science and Technology Centre in
Canberra, Australia.

One exhibit deals with the olfactory/chemoreceptive ability of certain
predators such as:
* polar bears,
* hammerhead shark,
* dogs,
* Mauritian tomb bat (Taphozous mauritianus),
* Western  pygmy chameleon (Rhampholeon spectrum),
* wild cat (Felis sylvestris) and humans.

As this will be an exhibition for the general public, I need to
compare the predators in simple terms or indicate their degree of
sensitivity (for example, can the polar bear really smell prey 3kms
away?)

I have been looking through journal abstracts, but they mainly seem to
focus on rats and crustaceans (I cannot access recent editions of
Chemical Senses).

I would greatly appreciate it if anyone can recommend other references
or researchers who study how predators hunt by scent, rather than how
scent is used for mating and general communication.

Thankyou
Cindy Chambers
Questacon - The National Science and Technology Centre
Canberra, Australia
email: cchambers at questacon.edu.au
web: www.questacon.edu.au http://smartmoves.questacon.edu.au