Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 11:17:55 EST 2002

Well, as long as you're begging me to Matt. But, please, in the future, try
to show a little self-respect!

"Much of the complexity of the behavior of organisms would be explained ("in
terms of" brain function) if we could say how it is that spontaneous
movements are blended and sequenced by their consequences (reinforcement)
and how it is that the resulting behavior comes to occur in environments
similar to those in which it was reinforced. Basically, how does response
differentiation and stimulus discrimination occur under the impetus of the
sorts of contingencies that make up the organism's environment? Of course, I
mean "how does" this stuff occur because of brain activity - a great deal is
already known about these processes at the emergent level (i.e., the
behavioral, not "cognitive" level). A next step would be to clearly specify
how individual units are built up only to "collapse" into larger units (as
when individual discriminated operants suddenly become all part of one
generalized discriminated operant)."

So....there you go Matthew. Now, remember, whenever you get in trouble just
ask yourself: WWGD?

news:b86268d4.0204191308.5e8aeb3a at posting.google.com...
news:<3cbf11cc$1_7 at news.nntpserver.com>...