Layman's question on the biology of Long-term memory.

Glen M. Sizemore gmsizemore2 at yahoo.com
Fri Apr 26 12:46:33 EST 2002

Also, BTW, my criticisms are mostly relevant to behavioral neuroscience (as
well as psychology and philosophy) not to in vitro types like yourself.
However, you contribute to the conceptual confusion a little by using the
term "computation." It is probably harmless enough at the level that you're
talking about, but at the behavioral level it implies an homunculous (Yes,
it does, Matt - the implication is carried by the term. "Computation," like
"representation," is not a physical property or set of properties. Something
is a "computation" if it can be used by a person. Hence, the little inner
man whose behavior explains the behavior of the outer person, but whose
behavior is not, in turn, explained.) and prevents people from seeing that
what we ultimately need to know is how stimuli come to "turn on" certain

news:b86268d4.0204191308.5e8aeb3a at posting.google.com...
news:<3cbf11cc$1_7 at news.nntpserver.com>...