oscillations RETRACTION & CLARIFICATION of the PRIOR 'retraction'

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 7 18:03:03 EST 2002

I RETRACT the imediately-prior 'retraction'.

Synchrony implies 'cross-correlation' =BUT=, what's
'cross-correlated' can include anti-correlation.

This's what's discussed in my response to Peter in another thread,
today, and is what I was getting-at, but failed to say, in my earlier
posts with respect to the "oscillations" stuff.

As a result, particularly with respect to information-content,
'synchrony' is flat-out nothing.

'Synchrony' can be 'engineered', at all 'levels' of human interactive
dynamics, from international group-wise dynamics, through
individuals, and within an individual nervous system, in the form of
"prefrontal constellations" [AoK, Ap7].

It's how 'deception' happens within nervous systems.

Deceptive 'synchrony' is comonplace war-'time' practice.

Camofalge [sp? ;-] is a vision-based form of environmental
implementation.

The 'funny'-numbers accounting practices that I've spoken-out against
are more of the environmentally-implemented Same-Stuff.

Etc., etc., etc.

Therefore, 'synchrony' is does not imply 'cross-correlation', not
even 'momentarily', because, as is discussed in AoK, Ap6, via TD
E/I-minimization, all that's relatively quiescent is just as
tightly-integrated as is all that's 'momentarily' active.

The 'percept' =always= occurs at the supersystem 'level' - all of it,
not just what's 'momentarily', and fleetingly-dynamically, 'active'.

If what's inhibited were not inhibited, the 'percept' would be
different, so what's 'quiescent' is in-there.

And, anyway, there's always simultaneous correlation and
anti-correlation within the fleetingly-dynamic convergence that's
mediated via TD E/I-minimization, so the 'synchrony' is as I
described it earlier, in the Traub ref? thread - a 'shadow' of TD
E/I-minimization - an artifact of TD E/I-minimization. Absent all the
TD directionality, as it's correlated to the body-environment
interface, the 'synchrony', itself, is devoid of meaning.

And it's not even 'synchrony'.

There is convergence, within a "U"-shaped 'well', and that can be
termed "oscillation", but it's better described as damped-harmonic
'motion' [with respect to TD E/I, not like a tuning fork dunked in a
viscous liquid], so the harmonics just demonstrate that TD
E/I-minimization is happening.

They are an artifact of TD E/I-minimization.

I Apologize for the way in which I've thought-the-problem-through,
publicly, in your electronic 'presence', but perhaps there's 'worth'
in-it to folks who 'wonder', "Who is Ken Collins" :-]

I'd worked all this stuff through back in the 'Terrible Times', and
have, in fact, discussed it all, repeatedly, in the past. My
'problem', with respect to this discussion is that I was 'tuned' with
respect to way-different stuff that I was working-through.

Had to 'deflate' with respect to what I was working on, and 'pump-up'
with respect to this stuff [See my earlier discussion of the role of
neuralglia, if it's still on the board. This has been a case in-point
re. that discussion.]

My other 'excuse' is that I'm just 'tired' physically, 'tired' of
'living' in this 'suspended'-'state', 'tired' of being alone, 'tired'
of not being able to find employment, and 'tired' of folks 'caging'
me then 'poking-sticks' in-there.

k. p. collins

Kenneth Collins wrote in message ...
> [...]
>
>Doing so is like, if an alien came to Earth, picked up a
>capacitive-discharg ignition circuit, and called it a "car".
>
>The other thing is that all of what's in the "oscillations" stuff,
>and much-more, has been reified in AoK for the better part of two
>decades. Yet, although, such hasn't been acknowledged [I've never
>encountered a footnote, for instance], it's been flat-out Obvious,
>for decades, that it's NDT that underpins convergence within all of
>Neuroscience.
>
>So, when I encounter stuff like this "oscillations" stuff there's
the
>appearance of its 'gist' having been 'borrowed' from the work I've
>done, and its having been 'gussied-up' with 'fancy' nomenclature,
and
>'experiment', so that the same thing that's been in NDT all along
>'can be said', without crediting the work I've done.
>
>Of course, this Assertion is gravely-serious, but it's what has
>underpinned my Choice to seek a hearing in some small group, and
it's
>what has underpinned the fact that I've pretty-much refrained from
>public discussion of experimental results.
>
>Since a couple of years after beginning to work online, I've gone,
>time after time, to collect papers in the Neuroscience stacks, to
>collect refs for discussion in this or that online 'place'. I did so
>the other day. But I've always refrained from discussing refs I
>select because my trips to the Library have become
>increasingly-'heart'-breaking.
>
>Like the other day. I didn't do any searches. I just went to the
>Neuroscience stacks, picked-up two issues of one Journal, and found
>50 pages of stuff that was all reified, and discussed in AoK, all
>along.
>
>It's been like this for nearly two decades.
>
>So, since, if I discuss such refs online, what's going-on will be
>obvious to everyone, not wanting to provoke 'scandal', I've
refrained
>from discussing refs.
>
>And I get-'hammered' for wanting to 'hold the door open' to folks.
>
>And it's seemed that no one will meet with me in-person because
folks
>know what's going on, and are co-operating within such.
>
>With respect to myself, such 'hurts', but I can
>'take-it-on-the-chin'. I did the work of my own volition, after all.
>
>But how can I not CryOut! on behalf of the folks who Siffer-Greatly
>be-cause NDT's understanding has been actively withheld from them,
>even as it has so obviously been 'borrowed' by folks operating under
>the 'publish-or-perish' 'Gun'?
>
>And, what's really awful, is that I can See-Right-Through all the
>'obfuscation' that's been heaped-up against the possibility of
>Lay-folks' understanding what's been going-on.
>
>So, I've said it.
>
>If anyone demands that I Verify what's here, I will, in-person,
>before Fair Witnesses, in a place nearby a good Neuroscience
Library.

>'Lock the doors', nobody leaves until the dust settles.
>
>K. P. Collins
>

>>While what's being referred to as 'synchrony' does reflect
>>'cross-correlation' with respect to activation [of course], it
>>doesn't reflect anything with respect to specific
>>information-content, so 'synchrony' says nothing about 'percept'
>>other than the trivial fact that, yeah, 'thought' happens.
>>
>>In the future, as monitoring techniques continue to become
>>more-precise, folks'll see that everything is, in fact,
>asynchronous,
>>fleetingly-dynamic, energy-flow gradients.
>>
>>My 'point' is subtle, and I don't expect anyone to agree, but the
>way
>>that 'oscillations' have come to be routinely invoked makes me want
>>to 'throw-up', because of the 'herd-mentality' inherent, and the
way
>>it gives short-shrift to almost all of what's in the functional
>>Neuroanatomy.
>>
>>It's been a 'pet-peeve' of mine. I'm Sorry  that such has
>>'rubbed'-against you.
>>
>>Cheers, k. p. collins
>>
>>Matt Jones wrote in message ...
>>>mats_trash at hotmail.com (mat) wrote in message
>>news:<43525ce3.0207240235.5989ab74 at posting.google.com>...
>the
>>confused
>>potentials
>distributed
>>at

>>>Hi mats,
>>>
>>>When people talk about oscillations in the brain, they essentially
>>>mean rhythmic activity that can be detected at the EEG level. The
>>EEG
>>>(electroencephalogram) works by recording synchronous activity
>>across
>>>fairly large populations of neurons.
>>>
>>>As you know, neural electrical activity is comprised of changes in
>>the
>>>membrane conductance of individual neurons. When ion channels open
>>>(e.g., during synaptic transmission or during an action
potential),
>>>current flows across the membrane. This has two related effects:
1)
> [...]
>>from
>>>many synchronous individual neurons goes by many names: local
field
>>>potential (LFP), event-related potential (ERP), or
>>>electroencephalogram (EEG).  The core idea is that you are
>recording
>>>simultaneous (but not necesserily rhythmic) activity from many
>>cells,
>>>usually hundreds, thousands, or millions in the case of the scalp
>>EEG.
>>>

>>>Now, oscillations:  During many different behaviors, it turns out
>>that
>>>the EEG does in fact display some rhythmic behavior. That is, if
>you
>>>look at it, you can actually see repeating wiggles at certain
>>>frequencies. In practice, you would take the wiggly signal and
pass
>>it
>>>through a spectrum analyzer or FFT, and note where the peaks
>>occurred.
>>>For example, during exploration in rats, the EEG recorded near the
>>>hippocampus develops a prominent peak around 4-14 Hz (so called
>>theta
>>>rhythm). During certain other behaviors (usually involving that
>>>"binding" thingy), the prominent rhythm in various parts of cortex
>>is
>>>around 20-80 Hz (so called gamma rhythm). There's a bunch of other
>>>greek letter rhythms too, but I forget when and where they occur.
>>>
>>>What these rhythms signify is that lots and lots of neurons are
>>doing
>>>whatever they're doing in a roughly synchronous concerted manner.
>>THIS
>>>DOES NOT MEAN THAT EVERY NEURON IS FIRING AT 20 Hz !!!!  In fact,
>>I'm
>>>pretty sure that what EEG, ERP and LFP are most often measuring is
>>>-not- spike firing, but rather the slower subthreshold potentials
>>>associated with synaptic potentials. In a "single-unit" recording,
>>you
>>>can also see these synaptic potentials from large numbers of
cells,
>>>but typically one is interested in the spikes, so one high-pass
>>>filters out anything slower than spikes. It is possible to get
both
>>>the spike infrmation and the LFP information by passing the same
>>>signal throu two different filters.
>>>
>>>OK, so that's what people -really- mean when they talk about
>>>oscillations. But nowadays, people are always talking about
>>>synchronous spiking in the same way that they talk about
>>oscillations,
>>>so what's up with that?  Well it turns out that you can try and
>>>determine whether two neurons (possibly in different regions of
the
>>>brain) are participating in oscillations with the same frequency
>and
>>>phase, by analyzing the crosscorrelation between their
spiketrains.