brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Shadow Dancer insomniac at winterslight.org
Tue Aug 13 17:35:54 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote in message
news:iO_59.22551$eb.1828429 at news2.west.cox.net...
> "blujuju" <blujuju at hotmail.com> wrote in message news:aj8i3h$19380s$1 at ID-
> > : Yet another one of your fantasies shot to shit, JK.
> >
> > Mr Jefferson was a theist.
> > Our John apparently cannot discern between theist and christian.
> >
> > blu
> >

> Mr. Jefferson was a CHRISTIAN.
>
> Mr. Jefferson wrote in his own hand, numerous times, "I am a real
> Christian".
>
> Morons who don't even know what Christianity is certainly can't be
expected
> to know who a Christian is, could they?
> http://christianparty.net/tj.htm
>
> John Knight

Here is one to stick in your craw:  http://religion.aynrand.org/quotes.html

And I quote, since you are likely too lazy to read it yourself:

Deism: (1) The belief in the existence of a God on purely rational grounds
without reliance on revelation or authority; especially in the 17th and 18th
centuries. (2) The doctrine that God created the world and its natural laws,
but takes no further part in its functioning.
===
The First Amendment
"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion..."

Article VI, Section 3
"...no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any
office or public trust under the United States."
===
John Adams (the second President of the United States)

Adams signed the Treaty of Tripoli (June 7, 1797). Article 11 states:
"The government of the United States is not in any sense founded on the
Christian religion."

>From a letter to Charles Cushing (October 19, 1756):
"Twenty times in the course of my late reading, have I been upon the point
of breaking out, 'this would be the best of all possible worlds, if there
were no religion in it.'"

>From a letter to Thomas Jefferson:
"I almost shudder at the thought of alluding to the most fatal example of
the abuses of grief which the history of mankind has preserved - the Cross.
Consider what calamities that engine of grief has produced!"

Additional quotes from John Adams:
"Where do we find a precept in the Bible for Creeds, Confessions, Doctrines
and Oaths, and whole carloads of trumpery that we find religion encumbered
with in these days?"

"The Doctrine of the divinity of Jesus is made a convenient cover for
absurdity."

"...Thirteen governments [of the original states] thus founded on the
natural authority of the people alone, without a pretence of miracle or
mystery, and which are destined to spread over the northern part of that
whole quarter of the globe, are a great point gained in favor of the rights
of mankind."
===
Thomas Jefferson (the third President of the United States)

Jefferson's interpretation of the first amendment in a letter to the Danbury
Baptist Association (January 1, 1802):
"Believing with you that religion is a matter which lies solely between man
and his God, that he owes account to none other for his faith or his
worship, that the legislative powers of government reach actions only, and
not opinions, I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole
American people which declared that their legislature should 'make no law
respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise
thereof,' thus building a wall of separation between church and State."

>From Jefferson's biography:
"...an amendment was proposed by inserting the words, 'Jesus Christ...the
holy author of our religion,' which was rejected 'By a great majority in
proof that they meant to comprehend, within the mantle of its protection,
the Jew and the Gentile, the Christian and the Mohammedan, the Hindoo and
the Infidel of every denomination.'"

Jefferson's "The Statute of Virginia for Religious Freedom":
"Our civil rights have no dependence on our religious opinions, more than on
our opinions in physics and geometry....The legitimate powers of government
extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no
injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither
picks my pocket nor breaks my leg."

>From Thomas Jefferson's Bible:
"The day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the Supreme
Being as his father, in the womb of a virgin, will be classed with the fable
of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter."

Jefferson's Notes on Virginia:
"Reason and persuasion are the only practicable instruments. To make way for
these free inquiry must be indulged; how can we wish others to indulge it
while we refuse ourselves? But every state, says an inquisitor, has
established some religion. No two, say I, have established the same. Is this
a proof of the infallibility of establishments?"

Additional quotes from Thomas Jefferson:
"It is error alone which needs the support of government. Truth can stand by
itself."

"They [the clergy] believe that any portion of power confided to me, will be
exerted in opposition of their schemes. And they believe rightly: for I have
sworn upon the alter of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny
over the mind of man."

"I have examined all the known superstitions of the word, and I do not find
in our particular superstition of Christianity one redeeming feature. They
are all alike founded on fables and mythology. Millions of innocent men,
women and children, since the introduction of Christianity, have been burnt,
tortured, fined and imprisoned. What has been the effect of this coercion?
To make one half of the world fools and the other half hypocrites; to
support roguery and error all over the earth."

"In every country and in every age the priest has been hostile to liberty;
he is always in alliance with the despot, abetting his abuses in return for
protection to his own."

"Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every
opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if
there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of
blindfolded fear....Do not be frightened from this inquiry by any fear of
its consequences. If it end in a belief that there is no God, you will find
incitements to virtue on the comfort and pleasantness you feel in its
exercise and in the love of others which it will procure for you."

"Christianity...[has become] the most perverted system that ever shone on
man....Rogueries, absurdities and untruths were perpetrated upon the
teachings of Jesus by a large band of dupes and importers led by Paul, the
first great corrupter of the teaching of Jesus."

"...that our civil rights have no dependence on religious opinions, any more
than our opinions in physics and geometry."
===
James Madison (the fourth President of the United States)

Memorial and Remonstrance Against Religious Assessments:
"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every
noble enterprise....During almost fifteen centuries has the legal
establishment of Christianity been on trial. What have been its fruits? More
or less, in all places, pride and indolence in the clergy; ignorance and
servility in laity; in both, superstition, bigotry, and persecution."

Additional quote from James Madison:
"Religion and government will both exist in greater purity, the less they
are mixed together."
===
Benjamin Franklin

>From Franklin's autobiography, p. 66:
"My parents had given me betimes religious impressions, and I received from
my infancy a pious education in the principles of Calvinism. But scarcely
was I arrived at fifteen years of age, when, after having doubted in turn of
different tenets, according as I found them combated in the different books
that I read, I began to doubt of Revelation itself."

>From Franklin's autobiography, p. 66:
"...Some books against Deism fell into my hands....It happened that they
wrought an effect on me quite contrary to what was intended by them; for the
arguments of the Deists, which were quote to be refuted, appeared to me much
stronger than the refutations, in short, I soon became a thorough Deist."
===
Thomas Paine

>From The Age of Reason, pp. 8-9:
"I do not believe in the creed professed by the Jewish church, by the Roman
church, by the Greek church, by the Turkish church, by the Protestant
church, nor by any church that I know of....Each of those churches accuse
the other of unbelief; and of my own part, I disbelieve them all."

>From The Age of Reason:
"All natural institutions of churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or
Turkish, appear to me no other than human inventions, set up to terrify and
enslave mankind, and monopolize power and profit."

>From The Age of Reason:
"The most detestable wickedness, the most horrid cruelties, and the greatest
miseries that have afflicted the human race have had their origin in this
thing called revelation, or revealed religion."

>From The Age of Reason:
"What is it the Bible teaches us? - rapine, cruelty, and murder."

>From The Age of Reason:
"Loving of enemies is another dogma of feigned morality, and has beside no
meaning....Those who preach the doctrine of loving their enemies are in
general the greatest prosecutors, and they act consistently by so doing; for
the doctrine is hypocritical, and it is natural that hypocrisy should act
the reverse of what it preaches."

>From The Age of Reason:
"The Bible was established altogether by the sword, and that in the worst
use of it - not to terrify but to extirpate."

Additional quote from Thomas Paine:
"It is the duty of every true Deist to vindicate the moral justice of God
against the evils of the Bible."
===
Ethan Allen

>From Religion of the American Enlightenment:
"Denominated a Deist, the reality of which I have never disputed, being
conscious that I am no Christian."
===

The Shadow Dancer