brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Wed Aug 14 01:23:39 EST 2002


Joseph A Nagy Jr <pagan_prince at charter.net> wrote:
>Bob LeChevalier wrote:
><snip>
>>>I'm neither, just mistaken, Mr. Knight. I apologize for my assumptions.
>> 
>> 
>> I'm not sure what you are apologizing for.  You were both wrong on a
>> point of fact, and he was more wrong than you because your error was
>> not fundamental to the argument, and indeed as will be seen below,
>> your point agreed with Jefferson.  
>
>It's nice to know that I could agree with such a great man as he, even on only one point. Who knows, 
>maybe I should hit my local library and read some more of his writings (if they are available).

You don't need a library.  Just use the screen you are staring at now.
Perhaps more than any other noted writer, Jefferson's writings are
available on line, and in one place.

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/mtjhtml/mtjhome.html
gives the Library of Congress collection with no less than 27,000
documents in 83,000 images of his writings, with transcriptions of
each page (and the collection is text-searchable, so you can read
every one of his references to "Christian" for example).
http://etext.lib.virginia.edu/jefferson/
couple of thousand more actual documents in image form.  If you don't
like reading manuscript, it has several enormous collections of his
quotes, you can also search the electronic collection, and with a
little creativity you can get a link like
http://etext.virginia.edu/etcbin/ot2www-singleauthor?specfile=/web/data/jefferson/texts/jefall.o2w&act=text&offset=5732190&textreg=2&query=Christian
which should be the full text of their main collection of Jefferson
letters in one file (about 2 Meg) html'ized with the word "Christian"
highlighted everywhere it occurs in the file.  But they have more than
that if you aren't satisfied.

http://www.constitution.org/tj/jeff.htm
is the full text of a 19 volume collection of his writings  (the
definitive collection being put out by Princeton for the last 50 years
is now up to 30 volumes, so this is around 2/3 of what we have in one
place).  Alas, it is in an ugly format.  You can download the zipped
text (5 meg expands to 14.5 meg) at
http://www.constitution.org/tj/jeff.zip

Who needs a library?  %^)

>>>the impious presumption of legislators and rulers, civil as well as
>>>ecclesiastical, who, being themselves but fallible and uninspired
>>>men, have assumed dominion over the faith of others, setting up their
>>>own opinions and modes of thinking as the only true and infallible,
>>>and as such endeavoring to impose them on others, 
>
>Was Jefferson ever a soldier?

No.  During the Revolution, he was governor of Virginia.

>> *The full quote is:
>> 
>>>"A more beautiful or precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it
>>>is a document in proof that I am a real Christian, that is to say, a
>>>disciple of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the
>>>Platonists, 
>
>Why am I not surprised?

Because the nincompoop, whoever he really is, is a nincompoop.

lojbab



More information about the Neur-sci mailing list