brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Wed Aug 14 01:32:58 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote:
>The Works of Thomas Jefferson in Twelve Volumes. Federal Edition. Collected
>and Edited by Paul Leicester Ford.
>
>Monticello, January 9, 1816.
>
>My Dear and Ancient Friend,--An acquaintance of fifty-two years, for I think
>ours dates from 1764, calls for an interchange of notice now and then, that
>we remain in existence, the monuments of another age, and examples of a
>friendship unaffected by the jarring elements by which we have been
>surrounded, of revolutions of government, of party and of opinion. I am
>reminded of this duty by the receipt, through our friend Dr. Patterson, of
>your synopsis of the four Evangelists. I had procured it as soon as I saw it
>advertised, and had become familiar with its use; but this copy is the more
>valued as it comes from your hand. This work bears the stamp of that
>accuracy which marks everything from you, and will be useful to those who,
>not taking things on trust, recur for themselves to the fountain of pure
>morals. I, too, have made a wee-little book from the same materials, which I
>call the Philosophy of Jesus; it is a paradigma of his doctrines, made by
>cutting the texts out of the book, and arranging them on the pages of a
>blank book, in a certain order of time or subject. A more beautiful or
>precious morsel of ethics I have never seen; it is a document in proof that
>I am a real Christian, that is to say, a disciple
>
>^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
>of the doctrines of Jesus, very different from the Platonists, who call me
>infidel and themselves Christians and preachers of the gospel, while they
>draw all their characteristic dogmas from what its author never said nor
>saw. They have compounded from the heathen mysteries a system beyond the
>comprehension of man, of which the great reformer of the vicious ethics and
>deism of the Jews, were he to return on earth, would not recognize one
>feature. If I had time I would add to my little book the Greek, Latin and
>French texts, in columns side by side. And I wish I could subjoin a
>translation of Gosindi's Syntagma of the doctrines of Epicurus, which,
>notwithstanding the calumnies of the Stoics and caricatures of Cicero, is
>the most rational system remaining of the philosophy of the ancients, as
>frugal of vicious indulgence, and fruitful of virtue as the hyperbolical
>extravagances of his rival sects.

Of course that "wee-little book" is the Holy Bible stripped of most of
its content.  In quoting this version of that phrase, which is a
different one from the one I quoted, you also omitted the rest of the
sentence (... that is to say ...) is which he clarified what he meant.
He was a disciple of Christ's explicit moral teachings.  He was NOT a
follower of the Christian religion, which is what everyone else means
by "Christian".  He would not have accepted the Nicene Creed or any of
the other creeds promulgated by the various forms of the Christian
religion, since he rejected the Trinity and the Godhood of Jesus.

>Shallow Dunce, for almost two centuries, the United States was a CHRISTIAN
>nation,

Nope.  It is explicitly stated in a 1795 treaty that the US is NOT a
Christian nation.

>founded by CHRISTIAN Forefathers,

who were not believers in the Christian religion, but rather Deists,

>living in a CHRISTIAN land,

a nonsensical phrase

>surrounded now by 264 million CHRISTIANS,

almost all of whom disagree with you.

lojbab