brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

John Knight johnknight at usa.com
Sat Aug 17 02:49:21 EST 2002

"Joseph A Nagy Jr" <pagan_prince at charter.net> wrote in message
news:3D5D9333.2070005 at charter.net...
> Tom Breton wrote:
> > Joseph A Nagy Jr <pagan_prince at charter.net> writes:
> >

> >>discoveries would have STILL been made, those theories voiced, and our
world changed. Look at Marie
> >>Curie, one of the more famous female scientists of the 19th Century(?).
Our present understanding of
> >>X-rays is due to work she pioneered (and she was Polish to boot!).
> >

> > That was Wilhelm Conrad Roentgen.  (discovering X-rays, not being
> > Polish) For an overview, see http://www.softcode.com/X_ray.html
> >

> Never said she discovered them, now did I? *sighs*
>
> I said:
>
> "Our present understanding of X-rays is due to work she pioneered (and she
was Polish to boot!)."

> Okay, so wrong radition. *coughs*Radium*coughs*
>
> http://www.aip.org/history/curie/contents.htm
>
> To qoute, though:
>
> "MARIE SKLODOWSKA CURIE opened up the science of radioactivity. She is
best known as the discoverer
> of the radioactive elements polonium and radium and as the first person to
win two Nobel prizes. For
> scientists and the public, her radium was a key to a basic change in our
understanding of matter and
> energy. Her work not only influenced the development of fundamental
science but also ushered in a
> new era in medical research and treatment."
>
> So my radiation was off (could of sworn she worked with X-Rays, though).
>
> http://www.aip.org/history/curie/resbr1.htm
>

> To qoute:
>
> "With numerous experiments Marie confirmed Becquerel's observations that
the electrical effects of
> uranium rays are constant, regardless of whether the uranium was solid or
pulverized, pure or in a
> compound, wet or dry, or whether exposed to light or heat. Likewise, her
study of the rays emitted
> by different uranium compounds validated Becquerel's conclusion that the
minerals with a higher
> proportion of uranium emitted the most intense rays. She went beyond
Becquerel's work, however, in
> forming a crucial hypothesis: the emission of rays by uranium compounds
could be an atomic property
> of the element uranium--something built into the very structure of its
atoms.

> MARIE'S SIMPLE HYPOTHESIS would prove revolutionary. It would ultimately
contribute to a fundamental
> shift in scientific understanding. At the time scientists regarded the
atom--a word meaning
> undivided or indivisible -- as the most elementary particle. A hint that
this ancient idea was false
> came from the discovery of the electron by other scientists around this
same time. But nobody
> grasped the complex inner structure or the immense energy stored in atoms.
Marie and Pierre Curie
> themselves were not convinced that radioactive energy came from within
atoms--maybe, for example,
> the earth was bathed in cosmic rays, whose energy certain atoms somehow
caught and radiated? Marie's
> real achievement was to cut through the complicated and obscure
observations with a crystal-clear
> analysis of the set of conclusions that, however unexpected, were
logically possible.

> Marie tested all the known elements in order to determine if other
elements or minerals would make
> air conduct electricity better, or if uranium alone could do this. In this
task she was assisted by
> a number of chemists who donated a variety of mineral samples, including
some containing very rare
> elements. In April 1898 her research revealed that thorium compounds, like
those of uranium, emit
> Becquerel rays. Again the emission appeared to be an atomic property. To
describe the behavior of
> uranium and thorium she invented the word "radioactivity" --based on the
Latin word for ray."

> Although my claim of her work in X-rays was false, my comment:
>
> "Our present understanding of X-rays is due to work she pioneered (and she
was Polish to boot!)."

> Only remains false if we keep the X in X-rays.
>
> *shrugs* Hey, I'm only human, I can be wrong every now and then.

All of which, of course, ignores that all of the key research was completed
by Henri Becquerel, Pierre Curie, Wilhelm C. Röntgen in 1895, Henri
Poincaré, Edmond Becquerel, G. Schmidt, Jacques Curie, Ernest Rutherford in
January 1899, P. Villard in 1900, André Debierne in 1899, and William
Crookes in 1900.

And, that Marie got a quarter of a Nobel Prize because ONE of these men, the
husband of Marie, asked:

Would a joint award be "more satisfying from the artistic point of view"?

iow, your assertion is about like claiming that Sue is the strongest person
in the world because her sister's son met a guy on a bus who read Superman
Comic Books.

Marie was so far removed from the process that it's really hard to imagine
how this LIE has held up so well for almost a century.

John Knight