brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Mon Aug 19 17:27:10 EST 2002

"John Knight" <johnknight at usa.com> wrote:
>> There have been other women Nobelists.  Marie Curie has been cited
>> repeatedly because YOU would say about anyone more recent that they
>> were benefitting from affirmative action, but also because she is one
>> of the most well known of physicists.
>
>And you would NOT say this?

No I would not.  While the Nobel committee probably has some amount of
politics involved in its selections, I doubt that it is so simplistic
as your theories about "affirmative action".

>Are you claiming that affirmative action was a failure?

I'm not saying anything about affirmative action. I don't think it has
been at all relevant to Nobel prize selections, nor to any other
awards or degrees that are granted by various institutions.

>Are you claiming that the effort to give incompetents the same
>rewards and incomes as the competents didn't work?

I don't know of any effort to give incompetents the same rewards and
incomes as competents.

>Or do you think, after you now know the truth about Marie, that the ONLY
>reason a woman would get a Nobel Prize is because of affirmative action and
>the "artistic" contribution of women to physics?

Actually, after I know the truth about Marie, as reflected in the
Nobel Foundation site, I know that she deserved the Nobel more than
did her husband.

>btw, Marie is not "one of the most well known of physicists" to anyone
>except feminazis and "wiberals".

Can you name a dozen more well known physicists of the past century?
I just looked at the list of Nobel physics winners, and I only
recognized the names of around 21 of them, and I have a degree in
(astro)physics.  Most of them have never been heard of by the average
non-scientist.

>To normal people, she was the "winner" of a quarter of a Nobel Prize

Normal people don't pay attention to whether the prize was shared or
not, because other than the prize money award, the sharing is
considered irrelevant.  Meanwhile, it remains the fact that she was a
winner of TWO Nobel prizes, not one.

>which she was given by her HUSBAND

False, as shown on the Nobel site itself.

>after the Nobel Committe had awarded half the prize to him.  Remember "plus joli d'un
>point de vue artistique"? (Do you not think that it would be more satisfying
>from the artistic point of view, if we were to be associated in this
>manner?"

I remember, and I've given you the site reference 4 times indicating
that this statement was a reaction to a question from a Nobel
representative asking him why she had not been nominated.  The prize
was NOT awarded by Pierre, it was awarded by the Nobel Foundation.

>Did anyone ask "members of the l'Académie des Sciences, including Henri
>Poincaré and Gaston Darboux, [who] had nominated Becquerel and Pierre Curie
>for the Prize in Physics. Marie's name was not mentioned." what they thought
>of that idea?

I'm sure that they were asked, if the Nobel committee cared what they
thought.

>Or Henri Becquerel, Pierre Curie, Wilhelm C. Röntgen in 1895, Henri
>Poincaré, Edmond Becquerel, G. Schmidt, Jacques Curie, Ernest Rutherford in
>January 1899, P. Villard in 1900, André Debierne in 1899, and William
>Crookes in 1900 who did all of the key research?

Since the Nobel committee gave the award to her, and it is THEIR prize
to give, what they thought is no more important than what you think.

>> http://www.nobel.se/physics/laureates/1903/marie-curie-bio.html
>>
>> >After two years, when she took her degree in physics in 1893, she
>> > headed the list of candidates and, in the following year, she came
>> > second in a degree in mathematics. After three years she had
>> > brilliantly passed examinations in physics and mathematics.
>>
>> She finished first in physics and second in mathematics, competing
>> against mostly male students, and then was admitted to the Sorbonne as
>> a foreign student of the sciences, which itself was no mean feat.
>
>This page looks very much like jew propaganda.

You can think what you like.  It remains the official Nobel foundation
site, and they are the sole determiners of the Nobel prizes.

>While the jews deny she was
>a jew, they raised a ruckus in France by calling the French "anti-semitic"
>for failing to promote her to key positions.
>
>Why would they do that if she wasn't a jew?

They did?  The site says that the anti-semitism had to do with another
person who WAS a Jew, and she was slighted by association as well as
by the fact that she was not native to France.  I don't see any sign
that any "Jews raised a ruckus" for her benefit.

lojbab