Biopsychosocial Psychiatry

Kenneth Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Wed Aug 21 16:40:54 EST 2002

Hi, Ian. Thank You for your post. I'll comment a bit, from NDT's perspective.

The most-important thing is that the 'brain' [nervous system] is a self-organizing system.

It's literally the case that, within the physical 'limits' imposed through genetic inheritance, folks become what they do.

There's been an unfortunate over-emphasis of 'genetic-inheritance' stuff, because the most-fundamental feature of genetic stuff is that, within the general 'human' 'pattern', it 'encodes' nervous-system stuff as a robustly-generalized processor.

I've searched for, and continue to search for, any evidence of their being 'limits' to the information-processing adaptability of nervous systems, and, although there might be such, I've found none.

Within the requirements of maintaining-Life, the genetically-encoded information-processing capacities of nervous systems appear to be limitless. [I'll gladly receive challenges with respect to such, if anyone wants to bring anything up.]

But such comes-up-hard-against the more traditional view in which [most-often, in ways that obviously derive in 'profit'-seeking] folks try to stuff 'specific' stuff into this or that artificially-isolated 'component' of the limitlessly-generalized processor stuff.

Folks routinely attempt to 'do' such without evaluating their hypotheses in terms of what it'd mean, with respect to 'adaptability', if their hypotheses were 'correct'. In other words, folks do not carry through their analysis sufficiently with respect to limitlessly-generalized processor stuff.

So, anyway, it's True that any 'psychological-deficit' can be induced through deliberately, or via-happenstance, 'engineered' environmental circumstances.

It's True that such environmental stuff drives nervous systems in ways that modify their own structure.

It's True that, as such environmentally-induced structural modification procedes, the behavioral by-products of nervous system function are modifed, commensurately.

And, it's True, that practitioners who do not know the first thing about how nervous systems process-information routinely inflict augmented harm upon folks who've suffered through environmentally-induced nervous-system-modification.

All of this has been reified in AoK, all along. Because I wanted to try to find someone who could understand, and who'd give NDT a 'home', I wrote AoK in a way that embodies many perspectives, in the hope that any of these would 'click' with widely-dispersed specialized interests. One of these perspectives is exactly the stuff that's reflected in your post [quoted below]. AoK can be read, in it's entirety, as a 'manual' with respect to environmentally-induced nervous system modification.

It's been one of the 'hardest' things - folks who put 'profits' ahead of actually helping folks 'took offense' at AoK's [NDT's] Refutation of their approach to 'doing neuroscience'. Because of their reliance in 'money', these folks're 'powerful', and their 'backlash' against NDT's stuff has been commensurately-'powerful'.

But they're just Wrong, and they're just Wrong as a function of their having been Victimized through their own experiencing of environmentally-induced modifications to their own nervous systems :-]

You know - most-often the role of 'academia' is the perpetuation of Ignorance, rather than the overcoming of Ignorance.

Students are required, under penalty of 'failing-grades', to absorb the stuff that their Professors were required, under penalty of 'failing-grades', to absorb from their Professors... ad infinitum.

So, the most-common thing that occurs is the perpetuation of the same, long-familiar Errors.

And this, 'two', happens in exact accord with the gist of the stuff you've brought up in yout post.

So, when folks 'argue' against such, as is most-often the case, folks're 'just' declaring their Victimhood, because their 'arguments', themselves, derive in the structural modifications that were induced within their own nervous systems while they were experiencing within 'academic' environments in which they were forced to become this or that, under penalty of 'failing' grades.

The result is that it's a Hard problem with respect to which, to find a hearing. [If anyone's saved the stuff I've posted, I wrote about my encounters with such a while back, earlier this summer. One can, literally, See the "supersystem-configuration" [AoK, Ap5]  'switch' being-thrown, in-there, and the 'blindly'-automated 'moving away from' becoming initialized. One can literally See the "volitional diminishing-returns decision threshold" [AoK, Ap7], having been reached, and the 'choosing' to 'move away from' "rendering useless" [AoK, Ap 8] of the "biological mass" [AoK, Ap5] that was constructed during the intense 'academic' experience through which the one with whom you're interacting was forced, under penalty of 'failing' grades, to acquire "biological mass" [have his nervous system modified in a way] that perpetuates False information. It's always such an Immense-Sorrow to See such, and to be standing-there, with that which Frees folks from the Tryanny of such, in-hand, and Witness the 'moving away from' - it's always such a Pittiful-Sorrow to See folks 'retreating' into their 'cages', 'blindly' and automatically, proclaiming their 'fealty' to that which only 'ensnares' them. Seeing 'the Beast', Abstract Ignorance, in-there, wanting to Rescue them, but being 'driven-off' via this or that 'excusing' [anti-"rendering useless"] behavioral by-products of TD E/I-minimization within a nervous system that's been modified through massively-coercive experience. It's not uncommon that, on my way home from such encounters, I weep for those so Victimized.]

And the most-Sorrowful thing is that they go out, and inflict the collective-Ignorance upon those who come to them in hope of receiving 'relief' from their own Suffering.

It's an exceedingly-Viscious 'cycle' which most-often 'only' perpetuates all the Sorrowful stuff.

This is a perspective with respect to that which NDT stands against.

It also provides insight into why it is that I work in ways that, superficially, seem to be 'uncaring'.

I Care, with all my 'heart'.

It's just that the problem is Hard be-cause it requires one to 'follow curved paths', through all the Hurt-Filled stuff that folks've experienced, in order to be able to present the Gift of the understanding that can Free them from that which 'the Beast', Abstract Ignorance, has, through no 'fault' of their own, Mercilessly-Inflicted upon them.

I Care, with all my 'heart'.

I won't 'quit' of my own Volition.

I Ache for folks, because I understand, absent the understanding, the stuff I do "seems 'uncaring'".

The Key thing is the absence of understanding.

Once folks understand how nervous systems process-information, folks'll See the Love that's been in-there, all along.

Anyway, that which you've brought-up, Ian, is as Important as anything gets, so Thank You.

K. P. Collins