brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Tue Aug 27 18:07:47 EST 2002

"John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:
>"Zayton" <zayton at bellsouth.net> wrote in message
>news:%Kwa9.3723$Hd4.1902875 at e3500-atl1.usenetserver.com...
>> "John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote in message
>> news:_Tta9.10583$Ic7.1069024 at news2.west.cox.net...
>> > Thank you for that reply.
>> >
>> > Throughout the entire Holy Bible, the English word "jew" is always
>> > translated from the Hebrew word "Yhudiy" or the Greek word "Ioudaios"
>> > (Strong's 3065 and 2453, respectively).  There are no exceptions.
>>
>> Strongs geves the meaning of word 3065 as "an Israelite"!
>> It lists 2453 as meaning either a Jew _in a geographical sense_ or a
>Judean.
>
>Precisely.
>
>But this is disputed by the actual Word of God in the Holy Bible.
>
>You cannot find a single instance in the Holy Bible that supports this
>statement by Strong.

The King James version of the Holy Bible is not an authority on
ancient Hebrew, nor does it assert to being so.

>There are 23,000 translational errors in the King James Bible.  But this
>isn't one of them.

How would YOU know?  What are your credentials in Hebrew translation,
such that YOU would know which bits are errors and which are not?

>The KJV translators always translated the words "Yhudiy"
>or "Ioudaios" into the English word "jew", and nothing else.

That is because it is the correct translation.  But the Hebrew word
means "patronymic of Judah".

>hmmm, maybe, but the important point is that no other race in Judaea except
>"jews" were ever called "jews".

There WAS no other race in Judea of note (remember that the Israelites
killed all the natives when the entered the Promised Land).  Judea was
the place where the descendants of Judah lived.

>> . But no other races in Judaea were ever called
>> > "jews",
>>
>> No race is ever called Jews. Jew Israelite or Hebrew are used to name a
>> religious, cultural or national grouping; not a race.
>
>Incorrect.  It's only descendants of "Yhudiy" who are called "jews", which
>makes them a race.

That does not make them a "race".

>It's true that only "jews" preached or practiced the
>Mishnah (which later became the Talmud, and is commonly known now as
>"Judaism"), and that no other race ever did, but the words "Yhudiy" and
>"Ioudaios" refer to one specific patriarch.

Yes, Judah.

>No.  "Yhudah" and "Yhudiy" are two different people born in two very
>different territories with two very different types of descendants,

False.  Judah (Yhudah) was a name for individuals.  Yhudiy was a name
for descendants of the patriarch named Yhudah.

>and just
>because they sound the same or are next to each other in Strong's doesn't
>alter the carefully described genealogy of the Holy Bible, at all.

The genealogy says nothing to contradict the Jews being descendants of
Judah.

>If you find an error, please let me know and it will be corrected asap.

YOU are the error.  Correct yourself asap, preferably by deletion.

lojbab