brain sizes: Einstein's and women's

Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Sat Aug 31 03:55:07 EST 2002

"John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:
>Really?  Where did White Europeans come from?  Where did the White
>Israelites go?  Here's how Pontias Pilate described Jesus Christ:
>
>The Congressional Library in Washington, D.C., which contains an OFFICIAL
>GOVERNMENT RECORD OF Pilate's correspondences, which records a meeting he
>had with Jesus Christ. Plate stated on pages 137-139:

You believe anything that you think supports you, don't you?  There is
no such thing as "The Congressional Library" in Washington DC.  The
government institution is called the Library of Congress.

There are NO "official government records that even MENTION Pilate,
much less purport to be his writing.

>The history of Pontius Pilate is known chiefly from some sources:

>a) Greco- Roman. Pilate receives one mention in Roman sources, and in
> connection with Jesus. Tacitus speaks of the execution of Jesus by
> Pilate in the reign of Tiberius. Since Tacitus wrote ca. 115, and
> Christian tradition could have supplied this scanty bit of
> information, we are in effect bereft of sources, which are neither
> Jewish nor Christian.
>
>Also Eusebius of Caesarea speaks in 4th century of his exile and suicide in Gaul.
>
>b)  Jewish. Philo, in Legation to Caius 38, relates an incident about Pilate and characterizes him.
>
>Josephus narrated three incidents of Pilate’s governorship that
> illustrate the difficulties faced by the Roman rulers in Judea.

c) (discussion of Biblical passages deleted)

>d)  Archeological. In 1961 a Latin inscription containing the words
> Pontius Pilatus praefectus  Judaeae was discovered at Caesarea in
> Palestine. This inscription gives the correct form of his title. The
> inscription, which is incomplete, records his two known names but
> does not give his first name – praenomen. The family name of Pontius
> was fairly common throughout central and northern Italy at all social
> levels and was the name of one consul of AD 17 and of another of AD
> 37. The cognomen Pilate, from the Latin pilatus, means a pikeman, or
> one armed with a pilum or javelin, or bald, or by another derivation,
> shaggy. The name is extremely rare; hence the family connections of
> Pilate remain uncertain. Also we don’t know his first name. He was a
> Roman equestrian of the Samnite clan of the Ponti; hence his nomen
> Pontius. Also there are several legends about his origin, of which
> one is that he was the bastard son of Tyrus, king of Mainz, and was
> sent to Rome. There, so the story runs, he committed murder and was
> exiled to Pontus in Asia Minor, were he made good and was rewarded
> with governorship of Judea. It is far more likely, however, that as
> the son of an eminent Roman family he underwent the usual diplomatic
> training, succeeding through other minor posts to the procuratorship
> of Judea – not a very coveted appointment in any case, and directly
> responsible to the emperor himself.

Thus all we have that is AUTHENTIC is a couple of mentions in passing
by Roman historians, a few more mentioned by Josephus (which is
probably firm evidence that there WAS such a man), and 1 Latin
inscription of his name.

lojbab