On so-called 'quantum entanglement'

Kenneth 'pawl' Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Sun Dec 1 18:39:42 EST 2002

There's a typo in the version of the Compton refraction app to which this msg is attached. Rather than repost the entire app, I'll just post the CORRECTION here. It's commented out, but if you want to use it's program-flow switching, cut-&-paste it into the program, being sure to replace the correlated line in the program.

'scatter% =    'uncomment to turn off the 'scattering' step

should be:

'scatter% = 0   'uncomment to turn off the 'scattering' step

The line occurs shortly after the preliminary-comments section of the app's code.

Sorry about the inconvenience. I must've inadvertantly deleted the "0" [the "switch" value] while preparing the final 'state' of the app for posting.

BTW, the posts containing program code are meant to be saved in their entirety.

Thus "save"-d, hey can be "open"-ed in the QBasic interpreter just as they were posted.

That's why the preliminary comments have leading [']s.

Aside: The QBasic interpreter ships with Windows, although most installations skip it. [In some versions of Windows, it was [apparently to me] left out. If that's the case, just keep looking back through your Windows installation 'disks' [CD ROMs], beginning with the newest set, until you find it. Most likely, the version you find will work. There's no "installation" just copy the files to your hard drive. [You might have to decompress them using the utility for doing so that's usually in the "Windows" directory. "uncompress.exe", or comething like that.] It's a simple programming language, but one can do serious stuff with it because one can drive computers by writing instructions in QBasic. The QBasic language can be explored via the adequate "Help" system that ships with the interpreter. Be sure to install this too, so you can use it as a reference. [Having QBASIC on a computer to which your Children have access is an especially-good way of introducing them to what they can actually do with computers, besides 'play games'. If you can afford it, though, and you've this interest on behalf of your Children, I suggest you get them started by purchasing a modern compiler language, like C++,  Visual Basic, or one of the Borland compilers. [If you trun them lose into programming, however, you should give them a separate Login ID to a Protected Operating system - or, if you can afford it, a separate machine, especially if they're going to be programming in a powerful language like C++ - so they don't inadvertantly 'trash' the machine on which you do your 'balance your checkbook' stuff.

I prefer to use a modern 'visual' programming language. But those languages either produce machine language executable code, or the compiler must be purchased to execute the source code.

So, when I've a 'point' to make that needs generalized access, I write a QBasis program, and make the source code available. QBasic is an interpreted language. It 'interprets' the source code line by line as the program executes, so there can be no 'funny-business' hidden from the user. [There is a "Quick Basic Compiler" which allows the source code to be translated into stand-alone machine code [".exe"]. I own it, but don't use it for these little apps because I want folks to be able to study, and learn from, the source code.]

QBasic has an incomplete, but sufficient, implementation of Trig functions. Any problem can be resolved via Trig, so QBasic is sufficient.

Cheers, Y'all,

K. P. Collins