In the News with discussion

Kenneth 'pawl' Collins k.p.collins at worldnet.att.net
Tue Dec 3 17:54:10 EST 2002

"Supreme Court to Revisit Colleges' Diversity Efforts", By LINDA GREENHOUSE

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/03/politics/03AFFI.html

Quoting from the article:

"`We are looking forward to presenting our cases before the Supreme Court,' the university's president, Mary Sue Coleman, said today. `Our admissions policies have been carefully and thoughtfully designed, and are based upon a great deal of research.'"

[...]

"The policy seeks `meaningful numbers' of students from groups that have been historically discriminated against, in the belief that learning to `work more effectively and more sensitively' in a multiracial world is important for a lawyer's education."

To folks at the University of Michigan: I offer to assist your effort by providing factual testimony. Please contact me.

Quoting from the article:

"In its Supreme Court appeal, the Center for Individual Rights calls this approach `a race-based two-track admissions system' that is even `more egregious' than the 16 percent minority quota the court struck down in the Bakke case."

What can be more "egregious" than acting to perpetuate Citizenty-aquiesced-to, founded-ini-Ignorance, historical Ravages?

What can be more "egregious" than perpetuating Ignorance?

Such is 'just' the opposite of fulfillment of Educational Responsibility, isn't it?

Yup.

Quoting from the article:

"In its brief in the Michigan case, the center said, `It is a measure of how formless, standardless, arbitrary, and unlimited in scope the diversity rationale is or has become that the university puts it forward in defending the quota system at issue here.'"

The "center" must've been standing in front of a mirror, 'adoring' itself, when these comments took form within it.

Quoting from the article:

"Linda Chavez, president of the Center for Equal Opportunity, another group opposed to affirmative action, said today that `all races will win' if the court bans affirmative action in admissions. Having lower admission standards for blacks and Hispanics `is insulting and undermines the mutual respect that is essential in an increasingly multiethnic, multiracial America,' she said."

No, it doesn't. What it does is allow folks who've been virtually 'banned' from experience through which Citizenry can blossom in full, to, finally, experience that through which Citizenry can blossom in full.

It's a no-brainer.

Allow the Children, so 'banned' from experience, to experience... for the good of Society as a whole.

Such serves every Citizen.

Such serves This Nation.

K. P. Collins

[Quotes © 2002, by The New York Times.]