Gray Shockley gray at compcomm.com
Thu Dec 5 02:05:37 EST 2002

Bob LeChevalier wrote:

>> Of course none of these are "races".
>>
>> lojbab
On Wed, 4 Dec 2002 23:14:09 -0600, Jd wrote
(in message <3deedf00.14702430 at newsgroups.bellsouth.net>):

> See folks? There it is again. The subtle hint that all of us are
> from the exact same two monkeys.
>
> Jd

This is the discussion to which reference is made:

Of course they could.  But a 21st century duplicate of the Parthenon
would have absolutely no historical interest, so why bother?

>What does race have to do with religion?  You'll notice that most jews
>practice Talmudism (which nobody else practices, and jews practice no other
>"religion").

That is because Jews are defined by their religion, not their race.

>Most Asians practice Buddhism,

Nope.

>except for Japanese who mostly practice Shintoism.  Most Indians practice
Hinduism or Muslim.

Which contradicts the above, since Indians are Asians.

> Most Arabs practice Muslim.

Of course none of these are "races".

So, Jd, you think that there is a "Jewish race", an "Asian race" (or is it a
"Buddhist race"?), a "Japanese race" (or is it a "Shinto race"?), an "Indian
race", a "Hindu race, a Muslim race and a nascar race?

My wife - who taught Anth classes when she was in grad school - is going to
be surprised that supposedly rational human beings can throw the word "race"
around without defining precisely and exactly what is meant within the
context of the conversation which is taking place.

I suggest that "race" used in a "simple" and "conventional" way is just
flat-out meaningless.

I had an acquaintance who was at law school at Ole Miss who was from
California - Berkeley at that - and when he was getting his Mississippi
driver's license had the Highway Patrolman question him regarding the letter
"C" in the race space on his California license.

Tom (Thomas Jefferson Ginger - if you can believe that) looked at the trooper
and replied, "Yes, sir; the "C" stands for 'Caucasian'."

The trooper looked at Tom's blue eyes and blond hair and said, "Boy, 'C'
means 'colored'."

They ended up putting "W" on his license.

Here's what _American Heritage Dictionary (3) has to say (all definitions):

Cau0ca0sian (kô-kE2zhún, -kazh2ún) adj.
1. Anthropology. Of, relating to, or being a major human racial division
traditionally distinguished by physical characteristics such as very light to
brown skin pigmentation and straight to wavy or curly hair, and including
peoples indigenous to Europe, northern Africa, western Asia, and India. No
longer in scientific use.
2. Of or relating to the Caucasus region or its peoples, languages, or
cultures.

‹Cau0ca0sian n.
1. Anthropology. A member of the Caucasian racial division. No longer in
scientific use.
2. A native or inhabitant of the Caucasus.

"No longer in scientific use."

But "emotionialists" aren't "scientific". They seem to prefer screams for
means and slogans for logos.

A lovely title for a book many years ago was _Your God Is Too Small_.

I would suggest that your God is way, way, way, way too small.

You've brought your God down to your level rather than trying to raise
yourself up.

A pity.

Gray
------