Pchem important for biochemistry, molecular bio, neurochemistry?

Richard S. Norman rnorman at umich.edu
Sat Dec 7 10:29:59 EST 2002

On Sat, 07 Dec 2002 03:46:51 GMT, jpfield at attbi.com wrote:

>Hi, I am an undergrad student with a limited number of science courses
>that i can take. Physical chemistry doesn't really excite me that much,
>but I do want to take it if it's useful to the above mentioned fields.
>Is it? How useful? I am looking to get a whole bunch of opinions and the
>whys and why nots.
>
>Thanks for your input.

The fields you describe, biochem, molecular biology, and
neurochemistry, all would benefit from a PChem background.  On
our campus (U. Mich - Dearborn), a BS in biochemistry requires
PCham.  A BS in Biology does not.  If you don't get it as an
undergraduate you may need it as a grad student.  Even if you
do have it as an undergrad, you may still need a more advanced
course in it as a grad student. You will be taking courses
where the PChem would be a useful background.

On the other hand, there definitely are subspecialties in those areas
where you could manage perfectly well without PChem.

What are you majoring in?  What graduate programs do you intend
to consider? The grad program in Biochem at UMich specifies
"Applicants should have completed course work in general, analytical,
and organic chemistry, biochemistry, physics, and calculus.
Undergraduate coursework in physical chemistry, molecular and cellular
biology, and genetics is recommended. The faculty are particularly
interested in students with significant undergraduate or postgraduate
research experience"  Other schools are probably similar.