Ear damage by MP3,DVD and digital TV? (more explanations)

CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler windle_c at informatik.fh-hamburg.de
Mon Dec 9 21:06:16 EST 2002

Kalman Rubinson schrieb:
> On Mon, 09 Dec 2002 23:29:42 +0100, CYBERYOGI =CO= Windler
> <windle_c at informatik.fh-hamburg.de> wrote:
>

>>(The construction of the sensor cells resembles
>>rather liquid filled long balloons and has in fact no similarity with
>>"hairs".)
>

> There may be a language barrier between us but, although most of what
> you present is difficult to relate to, this statement is quite wrong.
> The cells, in fact, have cilia ('hairs') on their apical surface and
> it is a consequence of the deflection of these cilia that the release
> of transmitter is modulated.  The fact that the cells, or, indeed, all
> neurons, are "liquid filled long baloons" is irrelevant.
>
> Kal

Well, in most beginners biology books the cells themselves are simply
illustrated as "hairs" sticking in a blob of jelly that is shook by sound
waves. That the sensor cells itself may have a small "beard" on top of them
that is tickled by the basilar membrane motion is a different detail. What
I wanted to explain here is the meaning of the "fluid pressure change"
feature, which makes no sense when people imagine these cells as ordinary
"hairs sticking in a pudding".

                         MAY THE SOFTWARE BE WITH YOU!

I                  CYBERYOGI Christian Oliver(=CO=) Windler                  I
I         (teachmaster of LOGOLOGIE - the first cyberage-religion!)          I
I                                      !                                     I
         {http://www.informatik.fh-hamburg.de/~windle_c/e_index.html}