Sir Charles W. Shults III aichip at cfl.rr.com
Tue Dec 10 11:37:06 EST 2002

    Well, there is one difference with evolution- we can see it working now.
There are many well known cases of introduced species adapting to a new
environment and then no longer being able to breed with their parent species.
The have new digestive enzymes, new markings, etc.
    Check into the wallabies that were accidentally released in Hawaii last
century.
    Also, we use the principles of evolution to help us breed new strains of
bacteria, plants, and animals.  So evolution is a live, working concept and is
proven to occur.
    Now, whether all life evolved from a common starting point is another
question.  While I believe that it did, and Occam's Razor seems to bear it out
as well, it is true that nobody witnessed it and it therefore becomes in part a
matter of faith.  But since we understand the forces involved and we have a
pretty good bulk of data from fossil records, it is a very small leap to say
that it happened.  This is completely opposite somebody proposing that astrology
works, when there is no active principle defined, no proof, and in fact all
evidence is to the contrary.
    This can be tested with experiment, but nobody involved in the astrology
racket will accept the results.

Cheers!

Chip Shults
My robotics, space and CGI web page - http://home.cfl.rr.com/aichip