Jerry Avins jya at ieee.org
Tue Dec 10 12:56:34 EST 2002

Sir Charles,

J.M. Drake, who is a professed creationist, agrees with you that
evolution happens now. Your reference to Occam's razor, itself a matter
of faith, lies at the root of much of the divergence of views here. You
and I believe that simplicity dictates a single (or perhaps a very few)
origin of surviving life on earth. Others, like John, find it much
easier to posit that the various forms were independently created and
intelligently designed. We see the razor that you and I shave with
(except that I grow a beard; see http://users.erols.com/jyavins/ ) as
one that creationists use to cut off their noses. They think the same
about us. So long as one doesn't think that my views make me evil, I'm
happy to have lunch and a beer with him or her.

Jerry

P.S. It might be fun discuss whether believing in a devil, or in saints
with enough independence to intercede, amounts to polytheism.     :-)