John Doty jpd at w-d.org
Tue Dec 10 06:32:25 EST 2002

In article <3DF64DC0.144C2ED5 at atlascomm.net>, "Richard Owlett"
<rowlett at atlascomm.net> wrote:

> If one accepts the evolutionists point of view, all morals are
> relative/situational.

The idea that all measurements are relative/situational was very
disturbing to early 20th century physicists. However, it turns out that
this puts extremely tight constraints on physical theory, much tighter
than absolute space and time did. It, for example, demanded that the
electron have an antiparticle, an incredible idea at the time, but soon
verified by experiment!

I suspect a truly rigorous situational ethics would be similar. I see no
historical evidence of any real rigor in absolute ethics: the thugs
consistently believe they are doing God's work, and can cite chapter and
verse to prove it.