jmdrake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 11 11:25:23 EST 2002

Jerry Avins <jya at ieee.org> wrote in message news:<3DF676CC.54EBCEA1 at ieee.org>...
> Richard Owlett wrote:
> >
> > Jerry Avins wrote:

> > > I usually quote Jeremiah (my name after all) to those who try
> > > to reform my views. Read Ch.13 v3.
> >
> > Will have to review context later as I work 'graveyard shift' and
> > haven't slept yet ;}
> >
> "Can the Ethiop change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then may ye do
> good who are accustomed to do evil." So there's no way either of us can
> change my evil ways.
>
> Jerry

Hello Jerry,

The passage that you quoted was in the middle of a sermon where Jeremiah
was both predicting Isreal going into captivity and calling them to
repentence.  It's not meant to say that change is impossible but merely
that change is very hard once habits have been formed.  Because of this
Israel as a whole would not change but that didn't mean that change
wasn't possible on an individual level.  As an aside this should (but
unfortunately does not) deter those who wish to pass laws to "get
America back to God."  You can force change in underlying social
behaviors.  It didn't work under communism and it wouldn't work
under "democratic theocracy" either.

Regards,

John M. Drake