Jerry Avins jya at ieee.org
Wed Dec 11 16:33:35 EST 2002

jmdrake wrote:

> Jerry Avins <jya at ieee.org> wrote in message news:<3DF676CC.54EBCEA1 at ieee.org>...
> > Richard Owlett wrote:

> > > Will have to review context later as I work 'graveyard shift' and
> > > haven't slept yet ;}
> > >
> > "Can the Ethiop change his skin or the leopard his spots? Then may ye do
> > good who are accustomed to do evil." So there's no way either of us can
> > change my evil ways.
> >
> > Jerry
>
> Hello Jerry,
>
> The passage that you quoted was in the middle of a sermon where Jeremiah
> was both predicting Isreal going into captivity and calling them to
> repentence.  It's not meant to say that change is impossible but merely
> that change is very hard once habits have been formed.  Because of this
> Israel as a whole would not change but that didn't mean that change
> wasn't possible on an individual level.  As an aside this should (but
> unfortunately does not) deter those who wish to pass laws to "get
> America back to God."  You can force change in underlying social
> behaviors.  It didn't work under communism and it wouldn't work
> under "democratic theocracy" either.
>
> Regards,
>
> John M. Drake

I'm glad to see that you interpret what the Bible means, rather than
accept literally what it says. The same book that informs us that
bestiality and homosexuality are abominations makes the eating of
shellfish an abomination. Moreover, it contains detailed instructions on
how to put to death all who work or use fire on Saturday. Faced with
that, it's good to have the freedom to be selective.

Jerry