jmdrake jmdrake_98 at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 12 16:35:01 EST 2002

Jerry Avins <jya at ieee.org> wrote in message news:<3DF7AF2F.9AF7841C at ieee.org>...

> I'm glad to see that you interpret what the Bible means, rather than
> accept literally what it says. The same book that informs us that
> bestiality and homosexuality are abominations makes the eating of
> shellfish an abomination. Moreover, it contains detailed instructions on
> how to put to death all who work or use fire on Saturday. Faced with
> that, it's good to have the freedom to be selective.
>
> Jerry

Hello Jerry,

The Bible has to be interpreted in the context of what was being
written as well as the time for which it was written.  Taking a
verse here or there and you can prove anything.  Personally the
thought of someone making out with a sheep gives me the willies,
but I think someone would here from PETA before they would hear
from me on it.  ;-)  With regards to shellfish there's actually
a sound scientific reason for its prohibition in Bible times.
If you've ever lived near the ocean you may have heard this type
of alert "The health department is urging people not to eat
local shellfish due to sewage contamination of the bay".  Back
when there was no health department the best way to prevent
someone eating something potentially harmful was to make a
religious edict.

Regards,

John M. Drake