Jerry Avins jya at ieee.org
Thu Dec 12 17:47:32 EST 2002

jmdrake wrote:
> Advertising copywriters typically don't invent anything.

They invent slogans and shibboleths. ("Even your best friend won't tell
you") If "invent" seems too dignified, how about "dream up"?
> > UV is also blocked from the retina by the vitreous humor. The greatest
> > danger UV poses to unprotected eyes is to the lens. Inverting the retina
> > can't help that. All the chordata have inverted retinas, including fish.
> UV can also damage the retina, especially in young children.
> http://icare4u.com/Ultravio.htm
> With regards to fish that's irrelavent.  The argument isn't about fish
> versus celophods but man versus celophods.  Whether fellow sea creatures
> have different types of eyes neither adds no detracts from the
> evolutionary argument.  Actually nothing regarding celophod eyes
> really does anything for the evolution argument unless you wish to
> go with a "straw man" approach.

Cephalopod eyes are living proof that a design which at least seems more
sensible is possible. Their form diminishes the strength of the argument
that our perfect construction can be explained only by conscious design.