Jonathan Kirwan jkirwan at easystreet.com
Thu Dec 19 02:33:25 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 01:58:40 GMT, "Sir Charles W. Shults III"
<aichip at cfl.rr.com> wrote:

><snip>
>    Faith as we "science types" are referring to it is "belief that does not
>require proof or substantiation".  It is a belief that you cannot reason away or
>reason around, it simply exists in the mind of the faithful person generally due
>to either indoctrination or some subjective experience.
>
>    The bottom line about faith in this respect is that it does not submit to
>dissection or contradiction.  You cannot formulate a test and carry it out,
>because usually the event or teaching that leads to this "unreasoning belief" is
>something that falls outside of the physical world.
><snip>

Faith connotes Truth of the capital-T variety which affects
one's state of mind or outlook on the world.  And it seems (as
you mention, too), faith isn't falsifiable, even in principle.
So there is no need to examine evidence or look for support, or
disconfirmation, since it is True no matter what.  Evidencial
reasoning doesn't matter to faith.

Jon