Sensitisation and receptors

Richard S. Norman rnorman at umich.edu
Thu Dec 19 08:44:41 EST 2002

On Thu, 19 Dec 2002 16:57:08 +1000, "John H." <johnh at faraway.xxx>
wrote:

>I'm trying to find some key articles on how receptors alter when subjected
>to large amounts of a neurotransmitter or vice versa. ie. becomes highly
>sensitised when the transmitter is deficient or less sensitive when in
>abundance. Can anyone point me to some good sources re this. Web pages okay
>but prefer journal articles if possible. Better still if someone can share
>their own ideas on this. Promise I'll try and respond; intelligently.
>
>John H.

For journal articles, the best place is PubMed,the US National Library
of Medicine.  One way to reach it is at
   http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi

For web sites, www.google.com is probably the best search engine.

Try "desensitization" or, more particularly, "densensitization of
Acetylcholine receptors" and you will get an enormous number of hits.

For slower and more long-lasting changes, try "upregulation" or
"downregulation" along with some qualifier such as "synaptic receptor"