Jerry Avins jya at ieee.org
Thu Dec 19 13:10:00 EST 2002

Jonathan Kirwan wrote:

> Faith connotes Truth of the capital-T variety which affects
> one's state of mind or outlook on the world.  And it seems (as
> you mention, too), faith isn't falsifiable, even in principle.
> So there is no need to examine evidence or look for support, or
> disconfirmation, since it is True no matter what.  Evidencial
> reasoning doesn't matter to faith.
>
> Jon

Whatever it may connote, faith is a sufficiently strong belief on an
assertion's or view's correctness to warrant using it as a basis for
judgment and action. I believe that the systematic examination of
observable things, formulation of hypotheses about them, making
predictions based upon those hypotheses, verifying or disproving those
hypotheses and thereby gaining firm grounds for modifying them -- in
short, the process of science -- will lead to an understanding of
reality. But it's only a belief: acting on it is an act of faith.

Jerry