Bob LeChevalier lojbab at lojban.org
Thu Dec 19 23:08:14 EST 2002

"John Knight" <jwknight at polbox.com> wrote:

>"Bob LeChevalier" <lojbab at lojban.org> wrote in message
>news:bmi40vg60bmhg6831s0e9hvhpfk3fcc0ds at 4ax.com...
>> JDay123 at BellSouth.net (Jd) wrote:

>> >You may be able to adopt Greek, Egyptian, African and/or Roman gods,
>> >but you can't adopt the God of Israel.
>>
>> Even if it is true, why is it relevant.  We are talking about whether
>> atheists can understand words written in a book, not whether they can
>> adopt god(s), which they presumably have no interest in doing.
>
>The point is that the Holy Bible gives a detailed account that the God of
>Abraham is only for the "children [read: descendants] of Abraham".

Why is that "point" in the least bit relevant to whether atheists can
understand the Bible?  Whether it is "for" them or not, they can
understand it.

>Besides, even IF a jew were ever to convert to Christianity, his own Talmud
>claims that he's subject to the death penalty unless he did so to deceive
>Christians.

Of course a Jew who converted to Christianity might not consider
himself subject to Talmudic laws (and of course no country including
Israel is governed by Talmudic law).

But here you are claiming to understand the Talmud, which I am sure
that you' have never read much less studied.  How can you, a
non-believer in the Talmud, claim to understand the Talmud, yet you
support JD's claim that a non-believer in the Bible cannot claim to
understand the Bible.

Could it be that you are a hypocrite?

As well as a nincompoop.

lojbab