Erik Max Francis max at alcyone.com
Sat Dec 21 17:43:42 EST 2002

Jerry Avins wrote:

> ward mcfarland wrote:
>
> > Erik Max Francis <max at alcyone.com> wrote:
> >
> > >  It's sad how badly some people _want_ to be deceived.
> >
> > look at the current popularity of John Edwards and his ilk to
> > confirm
> > this
>
> My ignorance of popular culture again comes up: who is John Edwards?

He's a guy that claims to be able to contact people beyond the grave,
and has (had?) his own TV show, with an audience full of suckers.  It
was pretty obvious he was good at doing cold reading, and it was even
amusing to watch him often stumble through his guesses.  The audience,
desperate to believe anything, would be filled with awe and impressed
whereas a skeptic would be bemused at the obvious gag.

An excellent example of the kind of thing I was talking about, Ward.

/  \ In the little things / And the joy they bring
\__/ India Arie
    CSBuddy / http://www.alcyone.com/pyos/csbuddy/
 A Counter-Strike server log file monitor in Python.