Bernd Paysan bernd.paysan at gmx.de
Mon Dec 23 16:31:45 EST 2002

William Tanksley Google wrote:
> Science is great, but it's only knowledge. It's a profession of
> people, and scientists are just people.

Sure, but we have nothing better than knowledge and people. Also, I can't
see how someone posting on the internet, using a computer can put
scientists in a sentence as if they weren't related at all to him.

> Sometimes you need dogmatism, whether it's to profess an utter and
> uncritical materialism or an utter and uncritical faith in Christ
> alone. If the miracle-worker wants your money, at LEAST put an utter
> and uncritical faith in the fact that in a few years he'll be gone.

I think you only need dogmatism if you stick your head into sand, and want a
reason to keep it there ;-).

Dear believers: If some sort of magic worked in our world, we scientists
would use it every day. We even would wear pointy hats, long beards and all
that stuff (some of us wear long beards even though they don't actually
work). Actually, what we use is the only "magic" that works in our world,
the magic of numbers and physical "laws" (which are far from
straight-forward, either; and no, you won't be fined for breaking physical
laws ;-).

--
Bernd Paysan
http://www.jwdt.com/~paysan/