Richard Steven Walz rstevew at deeptht.armory.com
Fri Dec 27 17:15:25 EST 2002

In article <3E020B78.D155ECD9 at ieee.org>, Jerry Avins  <jya at ieee.org> wrote:

>Whatever it may connote, faith is a sufficiently strong belief on an
>assertion's or view's correctness to warrant using it as a basis for
>judgment and action.
-------------------------
That's a circularity, belief warrants nothing.

> I believe that the systematic examination of
>observable things, formulation of hypotheses about them, making
>predictions based upon those hypotheses, verifying or disproving those
>hypotheses and thereby gaining firm grounds for modifying them -- in
>short, the process of science -- will lead to an understanding of
>reality. But it's only a belief: acting on it is an act of faith.
>Jerry
--------------------------
No, you undertake to determine the truth without a vested interest in
proving this or that, and that is Science. Faith is the antagonist of
all Science and Truth because it has a bias toward believing what it
prefers, instead of what is the Truth, no matter how well you show
that it is. Trying to prove what you already believe is NOT Science.
And it is NOT Truth! Faith is vested dishonesty to the self and all
others, nothing more.
-Steve
--
-Steve Walz  rstevew at armory.com   ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/user/rstevew
Electronics Site!! 1000's of Files and Dirs!!  With Schematics Galore!!