one more silly "scientiest"?

Donald Doherty, Ph.D. donald.doherty at brainstage.com
Sat Dec 28 12:08:03 EST 2002

Rapid extension and retraction of cell processes is well within the
boundaries of reality. Brain cells are dynamic living entities with
subcellular transport, actin cytoskeletons, etc. Watch single celled
organisms such as paramecium and ameba to see how rapid cell processes can
be.

However, some people were surprised to see rapid dynamic processes in the
adult brain because most assumed that brain connections were static after
they were formed during childhood.

(There are all sorts of reasons for the assumed static adult connections,
including ideas about how learning and memory take place, but a complete
discussion would take a book or two :^)

Donald Doherty, Ph.D.
Brainstage Research, Inc.
www.brainstage.com