William Tanksley Google wtanksleyjr at cox.net
Sun Dec 29 18:15:06 EST 2002

rstevew at deeptht.armory.com (Richard Steven Walz) wrote:
>Jerry Avins  <jya at ieee.org> wrote:

>>Whatever it may connote, faith is a sufficiently strong belief on an
>>assertion's or view's correctness to warrant using it as a basis for
>>judgment and action.
>-------------------------
>That's a circularity, belief warrants nothing.

A non sequitur, you mean?

I think I see what you mean, but I think you're missing what he means.
Belief in the abstract warrants nothing; but a belief in something
concrete not only warrants action but requires it.

Logic is a formal system for checking your beliefs for consistency.
The scientific method is a system which checks your beliefs for their
relationship to the real world. Neither one operates without beliefs,
although of course both are useless if you place your beliefs out of
their reach.

>>I believe that the systematic examination of
>>observable things, formulation of hypotheses about them, making
>>predictions based upon those hypotheses, verifying or disproving
those
>>hypotheses and thereby gaining firm grounds for modifying them -- in
>>short, the process of science -- will lead to an understanding of
>>reality. But it's only a belief: acting on it is an act of faith.

An accurate statement, wouldn't you say?

>>Jerry
>--------------------------
>No, you undertake to determine the truth without a vested interest in
>proving this or that, and that is Science.

Without a capital S, yes. But that doesn't contradict what he said.

>Faith is the antagonist of
>all Science and Truth because it has a bias toward believing what it
>prefers, instead of what is the Truth, no matter how well you show
>that it is.

Faith is the foundation of all science and truth because it acts on
what it believes. Without action, there can be no proof or disproof.

>Trying to prove what you already believe is NOT Science.

Of course not -- it's logic. Science knows nothing of proofs.

>-Steve

-Billy