how to compare between Coefficient of variation and inter-spike interval

Richard Vickery Richard.Vickery at
Sun Feb 24 20:42:58 EST 2002

In article <ac6b99ff.0202240857.515be638 at>, pepsine at (Uttapon E.) wrote:
>I have three samples of  sheep's neuronal signal collected.
>1. 5 sec from spontaneous base line
>2. 5sec from visual presentation
>3. 5 sec from object moving
>I want to plot CV vs mean of ISI of each cases, as I saw in many
>paper, and compared it. I can plot an ISI graph vs number of spike, at
>bin =10ms, 20ms.but I don't know how to plot mean of ISI vs CV graph.
>I have no idea. could you please explain me step by step or link where
>i can read it. also how to plot Fano vs spike count distribution.

Seems like you just need a definition of CV and Fano factor?

CV = SD/mean (sample SD I think is usual)
Fano = variance / mean

SD and variance relate to your ISI for which you are already calculating a

Is that all you need?

Richard Vickery

Dr Richard Vickery
School of Medical Sciences, UNSW, Australia, 2052
ph. 61 2 93851676,  fax 61 2 93851059