Properties of hippocampal neurons of rat embryons?

Matt Jones jonesmat at physiology.wisc.edu
Mon Jan 7 13:29:59 EST 2002

"Edmund M?ler" <edmund.mueller at freenet.de> wrote in message news:<a14p6t$o7usr$1 at ID-9504.news.dfncis.de>...
> Hi NG,
>
> I browsed quite a bit throug literatur and internet just for finding a few
> simple properties of the above mentioned cells listed. I haven't succeed.
>
> It looks like a lot of people work with them, know the things, but it
> crosses nobody's mind to write them down or list them somewhere.
>
> What I like to know is,
>
> - the magnitude of the resting potential
> - the concentrations of ions in the intra- and extracellular solution
> - the conductivity for the different ions during the resting potential is
> maintained
>
> Of all the above properties I have never seen any for that special type of
> neuron. The information I can get is vague values from other cell types.
>
> Any help would be appreciated
> Edmund

Edmund,

I'm not entirely sure I understand the question. Are you asking for
-recipes- for recording solutions for hippocampal embryonic neurons?
Are you interested in cultured embryonic neurons, or hippocampal
slices from prenatal rats?

Naturally, the answer to your questions would depend on the solutions
used by whoever was doing the experiments. The resting potential, ion
concentrations, and "conductivity...during the resting potential" (I
assume you mean resting input conductance) will be different for
different intracellular and extracellular solutions. And given a
particular set of solutions, these properties will also depend on
which cell type you are talking about (there are -at least- 5 or 6
different types, and possibly as many as 30, counting all the
different subclasses of interneurons).

Anyway, having said that, here's some -rough- values for  "average"
neurons in hippocampal culture from 18-20 day old rat embryos, after
2-3 weeks in culture, observed with whole-cell recordings, using about
140 mM potassium gluconate intracellular with calcium buffered to
about 50 nM with BAPTA:

Vr = -60 to -70 mV
Rm = 200 - 600 MOhm

For solution recipes,  you could look here:

Jones MV, Harrison NL.
Effects of volatile anesthetics on the kinetics of inhibitory
postsynaptic currents in cultured rat hippocampal neurons.
J Neurophysiol. 1993 Oct;70(4):1339-49.

Jones MV, Brooks PA, Harrison NL.
Enhancement of gamma-aminobutyric acid-activated Cl- currents in
cultured rat hippocampal neurones by three volatile anaesthetics.
J Physiol. 1992 Apr;449:279-93.

Cheers,

Matt