why study neurology?

Mike Dubbeld miike at erols.com
Mon Jan 7 23:15:15 EST 2002

Hi Laura,

First this is definitely not my field but as a practical matter the 'baby
boomer'
generation is getting older and Alzheimers is one of the biggies. Dr. Dharma
Sing
Khalsa wrote a book called Brain Longevity that basically says it will get
far
worse and pharmacology and alternative medicine (combinations of things like
lecithin/acetyl l choline/phosphatidyl serine and so forth) can dramatically
help people but that the real killer is stress that causes cortisol from the
adrenals to bathe the hippocampus in a toxic bath killing it slowly over
time
and how the evolutionary function for survival has past its time with the
advent
of civilization (don't have to run from that many sabre-tooth tigers like in
the
good old days!) as far as how the adrenals kick in. Only a hundred years ago
we did a lot more exercise to burn it off. So this has always been an area
of
interest to me. More specifically (and I asked Neruoscientist Dr. Robert
Sapalsky
this question directly but I only got a general answer) is what exactly
happens
when we cry? How specifically does crying relieve stress. What
neurotransmitter
sequence is kicked off by this and how is crying brought on? Why do people
lose
their ability to cry - exactly. I mean what are the physical conditions that
cause this
from the emotion? What magic does an emotion do to kick off crying and what
set of neurotransmitters is acted upon/endocrine sequences take place from
it?
Now if you got that one the next one has the exact same set of questions
except
this time apply them to the phenomena of laughter. Just exactly how true is
it that
laughter is medicine? If the exact nature of these things were or are known
then
instead of telling patients sad stories to get them to cry - we could just
give them
a shot!! Just kidding. Did you know that one of the tests for determining if
someone was a witch was the 'tear test'? If they couldn't cry when the story
of
Jesus was told being crucified it was evidence they were a witch.
Unfortunately
for the accused lack of lacrimation (dry eye) from aging was not know at the
time..... Better still psychologists wouldn't have to tell corny jokes to
patients
till they laughed if finding out how laughter worked by some other stimulus
could be done. Just kidding.  I am certain that there is more than meets the
eye to both crying and laughing. It seems to me if neuroscientists can talk
about how they know why we have different personalities that someone
should be able to answer this. I am not looking for a thesis - just a point
in the right direction.

I am interested in how it is possible to consiously
control the flow of cerebro-spinal fluid and pituitary output as well.
Has anyone ever heard of anyone studying the effect of sound in the
cranial cavity to try to connect  how audible frequencies could resonate at
differnt locations in the brain and affect chemical activity as in neuron
firing or
building up of electric potential/ionization? I ask this because mantra in
yoga
has a very profound effect on the brain although I really do not know
exactly
why.

Can't really say that if I was starting out in this field that I would not
go
straight for neural-networks as that seems to be the number one hottest
thing in the field right now. Although genetics is pretty hot even if it is
not neuroscience.

good luck!
Michael Dubbeld

news:uyl_7.20471$SE3.705099 at twister1.libero.it...