why study neurology?

Mathew Guilfoyle GuilfoyleMR at cardiff.ac.uk
Thu Jan 10 05:45:55 EST 2002

"Vishal Dhokia" <vishal at ddhokia.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message news:<a1ia3c$l08$1 at newsg1.svr.pol.co.uk>...
> Im a medic too.....
>
> in normal clinical practice, neurology doesnt set my imagination on fire,
> but what REALLY DOES is the cutting edge research and rare phenomina (which
> unless you are one of a hand full in the world you will not get to
> see!)...so can you hack it and make it up there and really do what YOU want
> to do/research/explore?  That is the question.  Have you read Ramachandrans
> Phantoms of the Brain, or Oliver Sacks The Man Who?....the cases are so
> fascinating.

I agree that day to day clinical practice in neurology is much like
any other speciality, dealing with common diseases because they are.
To see the interesting cases then you have to be prepared to sacrifice
a lot - move to a centre that deals with them, little opportunity for
large private practice, and often being able to do little for them.
However I would stress that though common problems at first appear
'boring', delving into brain function from any perspective will be
very absorbing and fascinating.  Further, if you make progress to
better treatment in a common disease you will have helped a lot more
people (most of which you'll never meet)

> Also, I think the deeper you get into neuro and the more you (think you)
> explain...the more humbling it is tolearn that there must be a soul and God
> and all that.....but that is going a bit deep there!
>
> Vish

There's only a soul because you want one to be there!