why study neurology?

Brian zhil at online.no
Sat Jan 12 19:34:57 EST 2002

"yan king yin" <y.k.y@(dont spam)lycos.com> skrev i melding
news:zJ108.1813$Qz1.226887 at news.xtra.co.nz...
> "Brian" <zhil at online.no>
> > [...] And I still think that increased growth of CREB-1 is the best way to
> > achieve better memories.
>
> Hello Brain -- Happy neu year =)

Yup, and a Happy New Year to you.

> There is a current theory that says SP=M (synaptic plasticity = memory), but
> CREB-1 is not the only form of plasticity in neurons. There could be other
> forms.

Interesting (SP=M)!
So, it basically says that the easier it is for the synaptic connections to change
(plasticity) - then that represents a memory 'bit' ?
My idea has always been that plasticity represents intelligence in connection with
growth-factors to expand the memory through CREB-1 (while CREB-2 deconstruct the 'used'
memory-piece; and making space for future pieces of memory).

> How do you know you're actually enhancing memory rather than just inter-
> -fering with it?

I do not know yet - as Norman commented to me on not being a wet-lab neurologist
(theoretical student at the moment), I was duly adviced to study matters in better
detail.
But the project to disprove (or prove) the theory is to use either genetically enhanced
neurons with greater-than-normal CREB-1 growth-factors.
If an extra memory bit is derived through the neuron, then CREB-1 functions as a
memory-growth factor.
Which is not enhancing the existing memory itself, only an expansion.
But if it only interferes with an already existing memory-bit, and thus doesn't expand
the memory-capabilities of the neuron - then CREB-1 is not the factor to induce more
memory.
But it would still be seen if the existing memory is enhanced or not.

> Anyways Im still reading the primers on memory and CREB so I cant say
> much for now.
>
> I have read of some other drugs that enhance memory in animal experiments
> (I dont have the article at hand) but there could be trade-offs in other
> functions.

Me to, Yan.
I wonder if it was a derivation from a neuro-transmitter.......................
It would seem to easy if only one drug could enhance memory, specially long-term.

Brian