philosophy of mind

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Sun Jan 13 05:56:05 EST 2002

I'm not sure whether we are simply arguing about differences in
terminology and actually have the same views.

What I would say is this:  sensory information is processed by the
brain.  Some or all of the information is altered so as to have the
potential of being causally effective.  Given this status it is this
information that will effect the actions of the person.  As such you
could say that the person is 'aware' of this information and not the
other information which did not get computationally altered.
Discerning those computational processes which allow sensory
information to be causally effective would allow you to say which
information the person becomes 'aware' of and which not.

In a similar fashion, a person can be considered 'aware' of all
information (from memories or sensory stimuli even emotional responses
if you want to consider them separate) that becomes computationally
altered to become potentially effective in determining the actions of
that person.  Indeed, it is that information which becomes effective
that defines them. A person (in the deepest?!/strongest sense) is
'simply' the dynamic totality of information within their brains that
has the potential of being causally effective.

I guess the critical question is whether 'you' see this information or
'you' are this information?