Hodgkin-Huxley model

Edmund Müller edmund.mueller at freenet.de
Mon Jan 14 06:33:51 EST 2002

Hi NG,

in some computer simulation we use the HH model as described in

Hodgkin, A. L. and A.F. Huxley. 1952d. A quantitive description of membrane
current and its application to conduction and excitation in nerve. J.
Physiol. (Lond.) 117: 500-544.

Well, this is half a century old. I wonder it in the mean time other models
were tried and published or the model was modified and improved.

They themselves mentioned for example, that the "curve fitting" might have
been improved by using higher exponents of n They used n^4 to reduce the
computational effort, quite understandable at those times, I think. Nowadays
computational power is manyfold. So maybe somebody has tried the suggestion?

What about the knowledge of the assumption of "valves" (probabilitiy of
being open: n, m, h in HH) in channnel proteins today. Is it still valid,
e.g. potassium channels having four particles of which all must be in a
certain position to open it (n^4), and 3 similar and one different for
natrium channels? Or are the numbers different? And is it the same in rat
hippocampal neurons?

Sorry for the lots of question, but I'm actually a foreigner to
neurophysiology who touched the topic from a technical side.
Interdisciplinary work can sometimes be hard ...

Edmund