Reentry (Was: Re: The Survival of the Wittiest)

Arthur T. Murray uj797 at victoria.tc.ca
Mon Jan 14 13:13:52 EST 2002

"Lance Sherman" <lancesherman at home.com> wrote on Mon, 14 Jan 2002:
> Thanks for the amusingly titled, informative message.
>
> sorry I cant provide answers to your concluding questions -
> hopefully another participant can.
>
> I, on the other hand, have only another question.
>
> what is "re-entrance" in the sense used by Edelman?
ATM:
http://mind.sourceforge.net/index.html "The AI Mind"
for Microsoft Internet Explorer Web browsers shows you
"reentry" in action when you run the AI in Troubleshoot mode.

The Web page of the AI Mind becomes a transcript of your
dialog with the artificial intelligence.  The thoughts of
the AI go through a "Reentry" module into engram storage.
(Using MSIE View/ Source/ will reveal the Reentry source code.)

http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/rejuve.html is the "Rejuvenation"
module which gets rid of the oldest memory engrams in order to
free up space for incoming fresh memory engrams.  Thanks to
the "Reentry" module, not all of the oldest memories are lost
during rejuvenation, because any memory brought forward by
Reentry is redeposited and saved from oblivion.

>"Marko Amnell" <marko_amnell at hotmail.com> wrote in message
> news:f6852717.0201110420.7884ec5e at posting.google.com...
>> minsky at media.mit.edu (Marvin Minsky) wrote:

>> > I've put that on my home page at
>> > http://www.media.mit.edu/people/minsky/.
>> > Actually it's more about the prospects for human immortality.
>>
>> Thanks. _Consciousness: How Matter Becomes Imagination_ by
>> Gerald Edelman and Giulio Tonori is another good book on
>> Neural Darwinism. It's more comprehensive than William Calvin's
>> _How Brains Think_ (and even contains a few mathematical
>> equations). I believe Edelman actually was the first to propose
>> the Neural Darwinism hypothesis in the late 1970s. What is it?
>> Well, just listing a few principles doesn't explain much, but
>> this is how Edelman and Tononi introduce Neural Darwinism
>> (pp. 79-85): [snip]

Arthur T. Murray
--
http://www.scn.org/~mentifex/dsm-ai.html "AI Mental Disorders"