Motor control - post surgical removal of brain

mat mats_trash at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 14 17:07:54 EST 2002

"Brian" <zhil at online.no> wrote in message news:<fxF08.1691$8e6.41845 at news4.ulv.nextra.no>...
> I probably can't help you, but they could insert cell-cultures from fetuses.
> They might be able to take over the 'space' of the traumatized neurons......
> This will take some time, but if they're quick and do it while your fathers brain is
> still survivable, it  might in theory work.
> Thats' the best solution I have in comparison with your own selections.
>
> Brian
>
> "Parmin" <rajabetawi at hotmail.com> skrev i melding
> news:Qbu08.12912$je.66347 at news-server.bigpond.net.au...
> > Hello,
> >
> > My father recently has a stroke and undergone an operation
> > to remove some of the right part of his brain.
> > The Surgeon inform my family that he will be paralysed
> > permanently on the left part of his body, both limb.
> >
> > I refuse to accept this verdict and am trying to look into
> > anything that could make him walk again.  If anyone have
> > anything on the subject, please could you post it for me.
> > Anything at all.
> >
> > The subject of interest can be something like:
> > - post trauma theraphy
> > - success stories in recovery
> > - occult
> > - robotic integration in muscle control
> > - mind controlled computer interaction
> > or anything that is related.
> >
> > I may be in the wrong news group, however since most of
> > the reader here are literaly well informed, I hope to
> > be directed to the right area if I am wrong.
> >

> > What ever you could help me with, I thank you.
> >
> > Regards
> > Parmin

The prospect of fetal cell transplants for what you describe is a long
way off.  The cells would have to form the correct functional
connections over what sounds like a huge area.  Unfortunately, there
is no chance of this with current technology.  The only fetal cell
transplants that have shown a modicum of success are those for
parkinson's disease, where the cells are used to replace the
dopaminergic neurones in the substantia nigra that have degenerated.
However in this instance it is not the functional connections they
make that are important but more the fact that they just secrete
dopamine.

I must say that the surgery you describe seems remarkable as treatment
for someone having suffered a stroke.  I've never heard of it.
Depending on how extensive the resection was the brain does have the
limited ability to gradually transfer functions once performed by the
now damaged parts to new areas.  However, given that there has
actually been surgical removal of part of the brain, I don't know
about this either.